With the introduction of the modern digital camera around 1995, it didn’t take long for the public to adopt the new technology in mass. Today almost everyone has accumulated vast amounts of pictures and videos. Whether you’re a professional photographer or an amateur shutterbug, you have no doubt experienced the distress of finding your camera memory card unreadable whether in your camera or on your computer. If you find yourself in such a situation and the pictures or video are simply irreplaceable, we can help with your digital camera data recovery!
- Reasons for Data Loss from Camera Cards, Photo Cards, Camera Memory
- How We Recover Data from Camera/Photo Cards & Camera Memory
- Supported Camera Cards, Photo Cards, Camera Memory & Photo Formats
There are two main causes of data loss or inaccessibility on photos, pictures or video cards.
- LOGICAL – In this scenario, the cameras card or photo/video card is physically functional. You may not be able to access the photos or video on it, but if you re-formatted it, it would work perfectly well for storing new images. And by the way, if you do re-format your photo card we can usually still recover your old pictures and video. Just like your computer, every camera uses a file operating system to organize where it stores images on the memory device. Your images may become inaccessible because the file system structures have become corrupted or overwritten. This may result from several scenarios including:
Accidental deletion Corrupted memory No images/ Card Empty Formatted Memory Corrupted pictures Power Interruption or Spike Battery Died Defective Camera Read errors Deleted Video Cable problem Re-initialized Re-formatted
- PHYSICAL – The camera or photo card is NOT functioning properly. Camera cards are very similar to USB flash sticks in architecture. The entire device inside consists of a controller chip and one or more integrated memory chips. Either of these components can be damaged as a result of:
Critical Read Errors Thunderstorm Damage Fire or Water Damage Defective Controller Defective Electronics PCB Physical Abuse Cracked or Damaged Shell AC Power surge Bad Controller Chip Connector damaged Prolonged Heat ESD Static damage
p>Data Recovery from photo and video memory cards begins with an attempt to image the entire memory device.
If the device is defective and an image cannot be secured, the problem is further identified as originating from the controller chip or the actual memory chips. If the memory chips are defective, no data recovery will be possible. If the controller is non-operational we can either replace the defective controller or remove and read the individual memory chips.
If the camera card is able to be imaged, the problem will likely be a logical software issue with the file system. In most cases, whether the result of read errors, re-formatting or deleting photos, we will be able to repair or rebuild the necessary file system structures required to access your photos. When you delete or reformat your picture card the file system will basically re-writes the tables or indexes that define where the pictures are stored BUT the actual images will remain. Unlike a computer where the file may be broken into many pieces and stored in many different locations, the camera stores the individual pictures or video sequentially arranged with one image following the next. This is very good for recovery purposes as we can literally search through the raw data for unique photo or video file headers. Once we find a header or start of an image, we can rip off the data from the beginning of the header to the start of the next. While we won’t have the original file names, we will have your images in perfect condition. BUT please be aware that with some cameras the re-format or re-initialization routine may overwrite the entire contents of the card and destroy any chance of seeing your data again.
Memofix can recover pictures, photos and video from all of the most popular types of camera memory cards including:
|CF – Compact Flash||RSMMC – Reduced Size MultiMedia Card|
|MMC – MultiMedia Card||RSMMCDV – Reduced Size MMC Dual Voltage|
|MS – Memory Stick||SD – Secure Digital|
|MS Micro – Memory Stick Micro M2||SDHC – Secure Digital High Capacity|
|MS Pro – Memory Stick Pro||Smart Media Flash Card|
|MS Pro Duo – Memory Stick Pro Duo||Transflash – Micro SD Secure Digital|
|MSD – Mini SD Secure Digital||xD – Olympus Picture Card|
Not sure what type of memory card your camera uses? Need digital camera data recovery? No worries, we can recover the photos from most cameras and camera memory cards including those manufactured by:
We have the expertise to deal with all photo and video file types including:
|ARW – Sony Digital Camera Image||MPEG – Movie Pictures Expert Group|
|AVI – Audio Video Interleave||MRW – Minolta Raw Image File|
|BAY – Casio Raw Image File||NEF – Nikon Electronic Format Image File|
|BMP – Bitmap||NRW – Nikon Raw Image File|
|CR2 – Canon Raw Image File||ORF – Olympus Raw Image File|
|CRW – Canon Raw Image File||PNG – Portable Network Graphic|
|DCM – DICOM Image File||RAW – Raw Camera Image|
|DCR – Kodak Raw Image File||RW1 – Leica Raw Image File|
|DNG – Digital Negative Image File||SR2 – Sony Digital Camera Image|
|JPEG – JPEG Image File||SRF – Sony Digital Camera Image|
|JPG – JPEG Image File||TIF – Tagged Image File|
|JPX – JPEG 2000 Image File||TIFF – Tagged Image File Format|
|MOV – QuickTime||X3F – Sigma Raw Image File|
|MP4 – QuickTime|